When arriving to Eixample Esquerra, the neighborhood I will be living in while in Barcelona, I noticed a few things right away; it is just as diverse, everything is much smaller, and there is enough room for everyone. Before leaving my apartment in McKinley Park,

Different types of people shopping for something to eat at the local market of Sant Josep de La Boqueria.

which is a neighborhood in Chicago south of Interstate 55, I was worried that I would stick out like a sore thumb by the way I look, but I was completely wrong. Barcelona, just like Chicago, is made up of different types of people. From the color of their genetic make up to the numerous amount of languages spoken. No one person has the similar background, yet everyone is similar in the space they share.

Morning local commuter driving his moped on the corner of Balmes and Consell de Cent.

In Chicago just as much as the United States almost about every household has an automobile which is typically a four door passenger car. During a busy Monday morning commute on I-55, which is also known as the Stevenson Expressway, I see another single person a car that can seat four people. As you may think this creates a ton of traffic with a lot of empty space. Barcelona on the other hand I noticed everything is smaller, as in a lot more people commute by scooter/moped instead of a car. This allows for a dense populated city to become slightly bigger.

On the street of d’Enric Granados locals are free to enjoy their leisure time on the benches and open space.

Though my neighborhood in Chicago is less then 10 minutes away from downtown via bicycle, it is far enough from the crowed to have some peace and quiet. About a block away lies McKinley Parks’ park which is live and full of people during the day and a perfect place to sit and people watch late afternoon. Fortunately enough a block away from my apartment in Eixample Esquerra there is a street that allows for conversation along benches. So whenever I feel the pressure of living in the big city of Barcelona I know exactly where to go.