The Museu Nacional D’Art De Catalunya

The Museu Nacional D’Art De Catalunya was quite an experience. As someone who is not a fan of art museums, I went into this excursion with a negative attitude. I have no artistic ability, and interpreting art is even more challenging for me. When I studied abroad fort the first time, in Costa Rica, I visited the Museo de Arte Costarricense.

The second time around, I had a better experience, for many reasons. First, visiting the MNAC and walking around as a group made the experience a lot more memorable. We did activities that really made me think critically and analyze some of these paintings in a way that I wasn’t able to do in the Costa Rican art museum. ┬áThe first activity, memory/recall game, assisted in my understanding of bias and how it’s not necessarily a bad thing to have a bias, or opinion, when interpreting. If anything, it helped me remember when explaining Retaule del Corpus Chirsti to my partner.

This was the first art work that was analyzed at MNAC. The artist is Mestre de Vallbona de les Monges

The title of this piece is Possession, by Joaguim Mir Nestor

Lastly, the activity where we all had to hold hands and close our eyes, when listening to one of our group member explain a piece of art work, was very interesting. Through this exercise, my listening skills were put to its utmost test, while trying to envision Possessio . The beauty of art is not just seeing it with the naked eye, but seeing it through the lens of closed eyes: imagination. In Costa Rica, I walked around the museum, with no clue of what I was looking at. I paid no attention to detail, color, storyline, and possible meaning behind each art fixture. Artwork varied, as far as, sculptures, paintings and time periods. In the beginning, I entered this museum with a negative view of art museums, but I exited with an open-mind, having a better understanding of art and interpretation. Imagine that, this experience resulted in one of my favorite excursion, thus far, as my adventure in Spain continues.