My experience at the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya (MNAC) was a wild ride from start to finish, but I would not have it any other way. Nearly every part of the journey involved novelty and taught me important lessons that I will continue to remember. While I came into this experience as someone who already appreciates art, I came out as someone more in tune with the concept of interpretation.

Atop a hill sits the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya. The trek to this museum was long and windy but completely worth the effort.

I loved reading as a child. My dad is someone who especially encouraged me to read when I was young so to improve my vocabulary and expand my mind. I still have many memories of him taking me to our local library to sit around the children’s section and read on his days off. One of my favorite parts of the trip to the MNAC relates to my experience reading and using my imagination to create the stories’ visuals in my mind. While one of our group members verbally described a painting called Possession (below) in detail, the rest of us closed our eyes and crated the image in our minds. Afterwards, we all opened our eyes once again and were glad to see the painting in its full glory. It was fascinating to hear how differently we all interpreted the audial description of the painting. We all had varying expectations of what image we would see. This concept took me deep into the idea of interpretation. Although we may all see or hear the same event taking place, each individual forms their own understanding of the experience.

Possession by Joaguim Mir Nestor portrays two nude people passionately intertwined.

Afterwards, it was time for us to create our own stories. In groups we chose a certain work of art to present and interpret individually. I had fun analyzing surreal paintings and proposing my own explanations for why the artist painted such perplexing pieces of art. Possibly, it was to express the scattered ideas in the mind of someone with psychosis.

These two pieces by Antoni Garcia i Lamolla exhibit the surrealist and colorful art that I particularly enjoy.