Although we didn’t spend The Night at the Museum, we spent the day at The Museu Nacional d’Adrt Catalunya (MNAC). I have been to art museums before and I have never looked at art the way I did that day at the MNAC. As a group, we looked at these photos using different improvisation games and activities to see how people analyzed and interpreted the paintings. During a memory recall game we looked at a painting with a partner for about a minute. Then, one of us had to turn our backs to the painting and tell our partner everything we remembered. After, we switched and did it again, but described the details without telling a story with it. Doing these types of games makes us think about a way to go about qualitative research. For research you want to see and look past the obvious observations and be aware of your personal biases and others biases. When ever you look at something for the first time there is always more below the surface. Before this experience I wondered what people were seeing when they would stare at an art piece for so long. I used to look at a piece for a couple seconds and then walk past, never trying to see beyond the first glance of the painting. Being aware of your bias will help make you understand what, why, who, & when, in this case, the art piece. In addition, knowing when others are bias because past knowledge or experience can effect what they see. For example, when we did the memory recall game my partner (Ellen) gave me her description that had related with her religion. I did not see the story she had described when I looked at the painting because I don’t have the religious background to come it to. As we went through the museum, we broke up into groups and continued to play interactive games discussing and analyzing the art pieces. In the future, I will be able to take these skills and use them for my future research. I think when you are trying to solve any problem or observe anything you need to be able to put your biases away and look below the surface. Below are a couple pieces of art work that we observed and discussed.

These two paintings are by Joan Ponc. Pretending to be the expert, was a great way to practice public speaking and building confidence.

This piece is called Possession. Game of Telephone story was played by someone describing the painting to us without ever seeing the piece before.

Look at the photo for a minute. Did you see a murder scene? This piece by Blasco de Granen was analyzed the depth of the painting through our perspectives.