Scooters are popular in both Barcelona and Hong Kong due to their ease of use, fuel efficiency, and inexpensiveness.

As I am getting used to the bustling city of Barcelona, I have noticed many similarities to my experiences of my stay in Hong Kong. Growing up, I use to visit my grandparents for the summer, and I remember the pedestrian-friendly roads as I explored different parts of the city. The use of mopeds, bikes, and public transportation are widely used in both cities and is inexpensive compared to what I am used to in Chicago. On the street corners of Barcelona, I noticed all the convenience stores, easily accessible to buy items, similar to all the 7-Elevens, which the streets Hong Kong.

Small convenient stores, popular in both Barcelona and Hong Kong, are known to be located in almost every street corner.

What I also love about the city of Barcelona is that they set a few designated locations to buy produce, particularly the locations such as Sant Josep La Boqueria and Mercat del Ninot. The small stands, selling their specific specialized produce, reminds me of Mongkok Market.

Barcelona community markets, like Sant Josep La Boqueria, selling specialty items, reminds me of Mongkok market in Hong Kong.

As cooking is one of my favorite hobbies, it is a dream to find such fresh produce in a large variety in one location. It is unthinkable to be able to picture these markets back at Chicago.

Although I do miss my family, friends, and culture back in Chicago and Hong Kong, I am fortunate to have Barcelona being similar to Hong Kong as it is a second home to me. I do not feel as much culture shock and homesickness as I thought I would have and it excites me to experience this beautiful city for the next five weeks.