This past Wednesday, we visited the Museu Nacional d’Art de Catalunya. As a group, we participated in various activities that would help us develop qualitative research skills by analyzing while appreciating the history of the Catalonia the art tells. We practiced observing and sharing our perspectives on what the art was depicting based off our memory and listened how other students chose how to describe and interpret it.

My favorite exercise we did was listening to one student describe a painting to the rest of their peers whose eyes were closed. My group’s speaker, Courtney, gave detailed descriptions of the subjects and surroundings, and colors and the emotions it elicited. Based off her information, we had to paint a picture in our heads of what we thought the painting looked like. With our eyes still closed, we were asked to share what we pictured, listen to what other saw in their minds, and added our ideas to theirs. I enjoyed this activity the most because it demonstrated everyone has a different idea in their heads based off the same information. It gave everyone a chance to speak with no interruptions and wrong answers. Listening to what others had to say is an important skill to have for group work. This was the first time I got experience this type of debrief. On many group occasions, there are people who tend to dominate the conversation and for me, I am not that person. During this exercise, everyone was on the same playing field and I felt relaxed and more self-assured working with people I just met a few weeks prior. Because of that, I believe we came up with high caliber conclusions as a group for the different activities. I hope to carry that comfort and confidence into future projects back home that will also result in quality outcomes.

Note: All pictures were altered and original.