Chicago and Barcelona are tourist magnet cities. There is a sea of tourists snapping pictures at significant attractions with the selfie sticks on a warm sunny day. However, Chicago and Barcelona’s famous landmarks tell a different story.

As I was taking selfies around Barcelona, I could not help but notice that the monuments have a significant part of the city’s history. Christopher Columbus renowned voyage and is symbolized by his statue in Plaça Portal de la pau. It is located where he supposedly embarked to annouce his findings to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella. Antoni Gaudi, mastermind of the Casa Batlló, is a prominent Catalonia architect who two of my selfies are featured with.

Christopher Columbus was famous for voyage in hopes of bringing back fame and fortune to the King and Queen of Spain, Ferdinand and Isabella.

Wrigley Field has a strong history with the city of Chicago for over 100 years. Recently, they added another chapter to the books with the 2016 World Series Championship win.

In contrast, the landmarks in Chicago have some significance to the city’s rich history. Wrigley Field has been a part of the history of the Windy City since 1914 and recently added another chapter to the storybook with the World Series win and breaking of the 108 year “Billy-Goat” curse. Cloud Gate’s significant to city is the reflection of Chi-Town’s prominent skyline. Many of the architects of the art pieces I took selfies with are not from Chicago. I think the art of the cities is what makes them unique in their own way.

Barcelona’s attractions tells the coming of age tale of the city and shows off its proud history. I think that is why the locals are so proud of where they live, where their from, and hardships the city has overcome to be where they are today. As I was taking selfies in Barcelona, the plazas were jam-packed with the tourists. After watching the documentary, “Bye Bye Barcelona” I felt insecure about joining the crowds of visitors. In the video, the locals talk about how expanding tourism has pushed them out of their homes. After attending the tour on the history of Barcelona, I can relate with being proud of their culture and town. On the other hand, Chicago is made up of diverse ethnicity, personalities, and perspectives and the art celebrates that perfectly. You don’t have to be from Chicago or be a part of the city’s compelling narrative to be exhibited throughout the town and that what makes Chicago, Chicago. I am proud to be a part of city that celebrates diversity. While I was snapping photos at home, I never felt uncomfortable taking pictures or feeling out of place. I hope to feel comfortable and fit in while exploring Barcelona as I do back home.