This picture shows the crops being grown right in front of the Organic Dairy farm.

the same crop that was in front of the dairy far, is then fed to the cows. In the U.S cows are often fed Corn.

The Manure from the cows is then collected at put spread the sun. It is the first step in the fertilizer process.

Every morning I have a cup of milk with my breakfast. Like many others, I do not give much thought in how it came to be.  The final excursion showed us the importance of knowing where some of our food comes from. Upon arrival to the dairy farm, I immediately recalled familiar scenery. Where many seemed surprised by the smell of a barn, I was not. Many people think of beaches and hotels when they think of vacation, for me it was different. Growing up, I would go on vacation to Mexico. A portion of my vacation involved spending time at my uncle’s farm. I was reminded of simpler times. From bulls, to llamas, I recalled all the animals that I got to meet growing up. It was a great feeling. At the farm, we met Anna, the owner. She painted a vivid picture of the entire process that it took for me to enjoy my glass of milk every morning. This includes the process of insemination, cow pregnancy, and the milk removal. However, the part that surprised me the most was the importance the role manure plays in the whole process. I knew prior to the trip that manure was also used as fertilizer. Nonetheless, it was to my surprise that the same manure the cows made was also used for seed distribution. The farmer reuses the waste to continue an endless process. Thus, the process of self-sustainability through the manure also allows for the prevention of pesticides and herbicides.

After the dairy farm, we traveled to a local bee farm. This farm provides the surrounding villages with organic honey. We were first given a brief lesson on bees and the honey making process. However, the most exciting part of the presentations was able to actually see bee hives up close.  Ramone, the owner, broke down how bees came to being an essential actor in pollination distribution.  Thus, their dwindling population size will have a catastrophic effect on mankind and the rest of the world. Ramone concluded with telling us that bees are dying out because humans do a poor job of preserving bees. Humans use pesticides to kill off bugs, which affects crop growth, in return killing the bees. Therefore, as I recall my childhood memories of being at a farm, understanding how and where our food comes from has a more meaningful effect. I came to appreciate what the dairy farmer Anna and the bee farmer Ramone taught me.  I cherish more where my food comes from and how it’s being produced. Furthermore, collectively everyone should learn and recognize how we are affecting the earth. Maybe then we can deter any more harm.

the bees roam this countryside, in hope of finding flowers.

the bees then collect nectar and store it in man-made hives.

once enough honey is collected, it is then separated from the comb and filtered.